Boston Police District A-1 provided North End / Waterfront residents an update on recent neighborhood crime incidents, summarized below, at the September 2019 North End Public Safety Meeting.
District A-1 crime is down 6% YTD. However, there has been an uptick in homeless and street drug activity.
Notable September 2019 incident: 9/2/19 at 5 Cooper St.: Complaints from residents about foul stench. Dead body was found in apartment. No ID found on victim. No foul play suspected. Potential overdose.
– 8/9/19 at 2:40 a.m. (Hanover St.): Victim reports she and two friends were exiting an Uber ride on Hanover St. and were approached by a male and female who appeared to be homeless. A verbal altercation ensued and the victim was grabbed and thrown down to the sidewalk. The suspects stole the victim’s wristlet wallet containing cash, a passport, and bank/credit cards. Suspects fled on foot toward Atlantic Ave. Suspects have been identified, and complaints have been filed in court.
Breaking & Entering – Residence (1)
– 8/23/19, between 12 a.m. and 3 a.m. (12 Battery St.): Damage to front door (built in 1895 and valued at $12,000). Front door may have been left unlocked. Nothing appeared to be stolen from residence.
Auto Theft (1)
– 269 Commercial St. Lot: 2002 Subaru Legacy was reported stolen. Newton, MA police arrested driver of stolen vehicle.
– 8/15/19, between 12 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. (Salem St. and Cross St.): Victim reports he locked his red (Bianci) bike to a sign post at Salem St. and Cross St. When he returned a short time later, the bike and sign post were gone.
– 8/26/19 – 8/27/19, between 11. p.m. and 5 a.m. (Prado): Violin was stolen from a homeless musician while sleeping in the park. Violin was cut off his body, as he had it tied securely around him while he slept. Also stolen was his tip jar, phone and other personal items.
– 218 Hanover St. (CVS): Starbucks containers were stolen.
– 87 Commercial Wharf: Two people tried to steal a bike with a pry bar and hacksaw. They were arrested.
– 143 Fulton St.: A Nintendo switch was reported stolen. It was possibly stolen by a moving company’s employee(s).
– Liquor / Drinking in Public (2): Copp’s Hill Terrace. Underage drinking during Feast weekends.
– Drugs Possession Class E / Warrant (1): Aforementioned CVS larceny (stole and was eating ice cream that had not been paid for). Suspect was in illegal possession of pills at time of arrest. Suspect had drug-related warrant out of Roxbury Court.
– Larceny / Bike (2): Aforementioned bike larceny.
– Warrant (1): Suspect arrested in Christopher Columbus Park on warrant for shoplifting.
– Drugs Possession Class B / Trafficking: 8/26/19 at 11 a.m. (5 Cooper St.) – Search warrant was executed. Suspect was in possession of 444 grams of methamphetamine.
– Assault & Battery 209A: Domestic violence incident.
David Marx hosts the monthly Public Safety meeting with Boston Police District A-1. North End Public Safety Meetings are held on the first Thursday of the month, 6 p.m. at the Nazzaro Center, 30 N. Bennet Street. All are welcome to attend and bring their questions. See the Community Calendar for upcoming meeting dates.