The North End / Waterfront Residents’ Association began their October meeting with a series of important updates. Watch the full video above or skip to points of interest below.
President Cheryl Delgreco began with a reminder of the annual NEWRA Fall party taking place October 30 from 6pm – 8:30pm at the Pilot House. There will also be a neighborhood cleanup organized by the North End Clean Streets Committee on Saturday, November 2. Volunteers should meet at the Prado at 9:30am.
(1:04) Maria Lanza from the Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services presented updates from the city.
- Mayor Walsh has released an updated plan to the Boston Climate Action Plan.
- Boston Water & Sewer Commission (BWSC) confirms that the water pipe that burst on Richmond St. does need to be replaced. All water has been restored to residences and businesses on Richmond St. BWSC will be working Thursday night and Friday to repair the pipe.
- The Eliot School ribbon cutting will be Saturday, October 19 from 12pm – 3pm. It will be a big community event with games and tours of the new school at 585 Commercial Street.
- Three community meetings have been held regarding the new park to be designed at Parcel 2 on the Greenway. Vote on the three concept designs and provide additional feedback through this survey, which will be open until October 14.
- Following a well-attended public safety meeting in early October, the Sharps team will be holding a safety talk at both St. John School and the Eliot School. Lanza reminded attendees that if you see a needle you could should report it to 311. The Sharps team works 24/7 so they will be able to respond. If you see drug activity or transactions, then you should call 911.
- The Columbus Day Parade will be coming through the North End on Sunday, October 13, beginning at 1pm.
At the end of the meeting, NEWRA had their annual meeting with the election of officers.
Officers serve for one-year terms. The nominating committee recommended a slate at the September NEWRA meeting and there were no challengers.
- President – Cheryl Delgreco (for a second term)
- Vice President – Jennifer Crampton (previous Secretary)
- Secretary – Kirsten Hoffman
- Treasurer – Sue Beneviste (third term)
- Sergeant-at-arms – Mary Holland (second term)
The bylaws limit the term of president to two consecutive years. A motion was moved at the meeting to conduct a hand vote. NEWRA members voted to approve the new slate of officers.