The September 10th meeting of the North End / Waterfront Residents’ Association (NEWRA) covered a host of local issues, presented by the group’s officers and committee heads. Here is a summary listing with timestamps for the video above.
President’s Report – Ford Cavallari (00:00 in video)
- Lewis Wharf Hotel Proposal – Joint NEWRA/NEWNC meeting tentatively scheduled for October 2015
- NEWRA Summer Party Photos (see them here) – NEWRA thanks organizer Jim Salini
- Online membership signup is now live
- NEWRA officer elections on October 8th (Interested members can contact the nomination committee at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Membership Report – Mary McGee (11:40)
Parks & Open Spaces – Robyn Reed (12:20)
- Playground equipment upgrades
- Gassy dog park
- Prado renovation plans
- New Greenway park at Parcel 2 by Related Beal developer
- Next Parks Committee meeting on October 6, 2015, 7pm at Mariner’s House, 11 North Square. All are welcome.
Zoning, Licensing & Construction Report – Victor Brogna (19:00)
- Next ZLC meeting on Sept. 22, 2015, 7pm at the Mariner’s House with tentative items
- 2 Michelangelo St. Unit 1 – basement expansion
- Theo’s Cozy Corner, Salem St., for new liquor license
- 88 Prince St. Unit 1A – Vacant commercial space conversion to residential
- 3-5 Quincy Court – On September 1st, the Boston Zoning Board of Appeal denied the 1-story addition and renovation changes at this North Square location in a close vote of 4-3. NEWRA had opposed the proposal as did the Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services. City Councilors Sal LaMattina, Michael Flaherty and State Rep. Aaron Michlewitz supported the proposal along with the North End / Waterfront Neighborhood Council (NEWNC). (Correction: In the NEWRA meeting video, City Councilor At-Large Stephen Murphy is noted as having supported the developer at the ZBA hearing. Councilor Murphy’s view was actually not mentioned at the ZBA hearing.)
Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services – Maria Lanza (25:40)
- Abutter’s Meeting (Mon. 9/14, 6pm on site) – 55-57 Endicott Street (former J. Pace & Son) request to add 25 parking spaces.
- North Square Reconfiguration Meeting hosted by Public Works on Thursday, 9/17, 6:30 pm at St. John School
- Eliot School Construction Update on N. Bennet Street – Wed., 9/30, 6pm at the Nazzaro Center
- City Hall to Go Truck on Hanover Street, Tues., 9/15, 4-7pm
Public Safety Committee Report – David Marx (28:30)
- See the report here.
- Update request on MS13 gang activities
For more meetings and events, see the NorthEndWaterfront.com Events Calendar.