This year’s Christopher Columbus Park tot lot cleanup was a full blown neighborhood family social event! Organized by the Friends group, the Spring celebration brought out dozens of children and parents to the most scenic kid space in town.
A special surprise ribbon cutting introduced two new heavy duty picnic tables and a bulletin board, all donated by FOCCP to the park. Director Meghan Denenberg said, “It is amazing how perfectly the color of the tables match the jungle gym – they look like they have been there for years. Those are going to sit for many lunches for years to come.” FOCCP President Joanne Hayes-Rines added, “FOCCP will also maintain the new bulletin board with updates on family activities.”
FOCCP passes on the following thank you’s:
- The kids loved the fire truck and we are lucky to have the support of the Boston Fire Department, Engine 8/Ladder 1, keeping the kids entertained and safe.
- Then the pizza was a huge hit – a special thanks to Joe Bono for donating the pizza from Benevento’s on Salem Street.
- The face painting table was busy all day. Thank you Maureen from Kindercare and your crew for all your creativity and for the juice boxes and snack bars.
- Big Joe the storyteller, always a big hit.
- A big thank you to Tom and Ryan from Hordon Health for helping us put the picnic tables together on Friday, whose efforts and muscles were really appreciated.
- A special thanks to a couple of new moms, Robin and Margo, that stepped right up by getting raffle items and helping organize ahead of time and spread the word – and a big thanks to our “old” moms Ruth, Von, Mary, Faye and Donna for all your efforts as well as rallying the troops.
- From the Friends, thank you Ann, Frankie, Erna, Laurie, Patricia and Laura for helping with the auction and cleaning up.
“It was terrific weather and the event was a huge hit,” said FOCCP director and event organizer, Meghan Denenberg. The event attracted 18 new members and raised $830 for FOCCP, including raffle proceeds.
Photos by Matt Conti.
One Reply to “Tot Lot Cleanup Brings Family Fun and New Picnic Tables to Christopher Columbus Park”
Matt, did you know that Big Joe, The Story Teller is my Cousin (I call him my nephew)~~~isn’t he just THE BEST ?
He is so good at what he does !!! I wasn’t feeling well so I missed this event, but your great photos allowed me to see his great performance !!
Comments are closed.