This year’s Christopher Columbus Park tot lot cleanup was a full blown neighborhood family social event! Organized by the Friends group, the Spring celebration brought out dozens of children and parents to the most scenic kid space in town.
A special surprise ribbon cutting introduced two new heavy duty picnic tables and a bulletin board, all donated by FOCCP to the park. Director Meghan Denenberg said, “It is amazing how perfectly the color of the tables match the jungle gym – they look like they have been there for years. Those are going to sit for many lunches for years to come.” FOCCP President Joanne Hayes-Rines added, “FOCCP will also maintain the new bulletin board with updates on family activities.”
FOCCP passes on the following thank you’s:
- The kids loved the fire truck and we are lucky to have the support of the Boston Fire Department, Engine 8/Ladder 1, keeping the kids entertained and safe.
- Then the pizza was a huge hit – a special thanks to Joe Bono for donating the pizza from Benevento’s on Salem Street.
- The face painting table was busy all day. Thank you Maureen from Kindercare and your crew for all your creativity and for the juice boxes and snack bars.
- Big Joe the storyteller, always a big hit.
- A big thank you to Tom and Ryan from Hordon Health for helping us put the picnic tables together on Friday, whose efforts and muscles were really appreciated.
- A special thanks to a couple of new moms, Robin and Margo, that stepped right up by getting raffle items and helping organize ahead of time and spread the word – and a big thanks to our “old” moms Ruth, Von, Mary, Faye and Donna for all your efforts as well as rallying the troops.
- From the Friends, thank you Ann, Frankie, Erna, Laurie, Patricia and Laura for helping with the auction and cleaning up.
“It was terrific weather and the event was a huge hit,” said FOCCP director and event organizer, Meghan Denenberg. The event attracted 18 new members and raised $830 for FOCCP, including raffle proceeds.