The North End / Waterfront Residents’ Association (NEWRA) met for their monthly meeting on September 13, 2018. The meeting started with a series of community reports, shown in the above video. Follow along or jump to subjects of interest using this summary timeline.
(00:00) Welcome and introductions – NEWRA President Mary McGee
(01:50) Chapter 91 Educational Forum by Conservation Law Foundation, sponsored by We Are Boston’s Waterfront. As new developments continue to be proposed along Boston’s waterfront, it is important to be informed about the rules and regulations protecting our neighborhoods. All are welcome to attend at Boston Harbor Hotel, Rowes Wharf, Leventhal Room.
(03:00) Update on Artificial vs. Natural Grass at Puopolo Fields – Despite opposition from NEWRA, the City’s Parks Department has decided to use artificial turf at the Commercial Street ballfields. The little league field at Langone Park will remain natural grass. Read the letter from Parks Commissioner Cook with the City’s decision to use artificial turf.
(06:00) Nominations Committee – NEWRA Elections coming on October 11th. Interested members should contact a member of the committee (David Kubiak, Mary McGee, David Goggins) or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
(09:30) Parks and Open Spaces Committee
- Daffodils bulbs available from city. Click here for more information.
- Greenway update – Walk Your Bikes symbols to be repainted.
- Fall Festival at Christopher Columbus Park on October 14th. See FOCCP.org.
(11:15) Zoning, Licensing and Construction Committee
- Next ZLC meeting on Sept 25th, 7pm, Mariner’s House
- Upcoming: 276-282 Hanover St. (above Il Panino where fire occured)
- Pending: 20 Moon St., 97 Salem St., 87 Salem St.
(14:00) Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services – Maria Lanza
- Mayor Walsh is pursuing legal action against pharmaceutical companies in regards to the opioid crisis. More information.
- 2019 Boston Cultural Council grants now available. More information.
- Household Hazardous Waste Dropoff – 400 Frontage Rd., Oct. 27th, 9am-2pm
- 41 N. Margin St. Community Meeting – Wed., Sept. 19th, 6pm More information.
- Update on Community Center mailing re: Mirabella Pool location. See mailing. City officials emphasize that no site has yet been selected. A meeting will be scheduled in the Fall 2018.
- Letter from Parks Commissioner Cook on the decision to use artificial turf at Puopolo Fields. More information.