Thanksgiving is a time to share good food with friends and family. Here are some tips to make it a safe and healthy day:
- Thaw a frozen turkey in the refrigerator or microwave. It can take 2 to 5 days to thaw a 20 pound turkey in the refrigerator.
- Do not wash the turkey. This can spread bacteria in your kitchen.
- Cook the turkey until it reaches 165 degrees on a food thermometer.
- Keep raw turkey away from other food.
- Use different cutting boards for each food.
- Wash hands with warm soapy water for 20 seconds before touching food.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Do not store stuffing in the turkey.
- Do not eat leftover food that is more than 3 days old.
For more information go to foodsafety.gov. Continue to follow NEW Health for more health and wellness tips and information.