Schultz, who has chaired NEW Health’s Podiatry Department since 1997, had previously split his time between the North End and another health center. Now he will see NEW Health patients with foot conditions Monday through Friday.
“I love this neighborhood and the patients I see here, so I’m excited to be able to offer even more appointments to returning and new patients,” Schultz says. “Winter is a common time for foot problems to surface, so don’t wait for summer to address any concerns.”
Podiatrist Paul Pantano, DPM, also cares for foot patients at NEW Health.
To schedule a podiatry appointment call 617-643-8000.
As a reminder, here are five foot facts from North End Waterfront Health’s podiatrists:
- Corns and calluses are the skin’s way of protecting itself from pressure and friction. The pressure is usually caused at boney prominences by ill fitting shoe gear.
- Foot problems can be the first sign of more serious diseases. Diabetes, arthritis, nerve, and circulatory diseases can often first appear in the feet. Inspect your feet regularly for changes in color, temperature, growths, structure and appearance.
- Plantarfasciitis is one of the most common causes of foot pain. It is characterized by heel/arch pain in the morning or after sitting for long periods of time. It is most often treated conservatively with success.
- Toe nail fungus is common and usually begins with a yellow or white spot under the tip of the toe nail. It is called onychomycosis and left untreated may become painful or spread to other toe nails and skin. Typically it will not resolve unless treated and there are treatments available.
- Plantar warts are fleshy, grainy growths often with black pin points. They are caused by a virus and are contagious. They enter the skin through small cuts/scratches in the skin. Warts are usually harmless and resolve on their own. Warts should be professionally evaluated/treated if the become painful; multiply or there is any doubt that the growth is a wart.
For more information on North End Waterfront Health’s podiatry services, visit northendwaterfronthealth.org.