by Mary Wright, RN, health educator for North End Waterfront Health
The American Cancer Society suggests the following changes in your lifestyle to help you have a healthier 2015:
- Stop smoking.
- Eat a healthy diet. Your diet should include eating 2 ½ cups of fruits and vegetables every day. Eat less red meat and processed meats, fewer sweets, and choose whole grains.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Drink alcohol in moderation. Men should have no more that 2 drinks a day and women no more than 1.
- Engage in physical activity. Adults should have at least 150 minutes of moderate physical activity each week. Kids need at least 1 hour of physical activity each day.
- Limit exposure to sun and UV rays. Wear protective clothing and a sunscreen of SPF 30 every day even in the winter. Limit time in the sun between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm. Avoid indoor tanning.
- Be safe. Wear seatbelts in your car. Wear helmets on bikes and motorcycles. Avoid misuse of prescription and illegal drugs.