by Health Educator Mary Wright, RN
As the holidays approach, here are a few tips on keeping your family safe this winter.
- Never leave candles unattended.
- Keep burning candles, matches, and lighters out of reach of children.
- Keep candles away from drapes or other materials that might catch fire.
- Turn off the tree lights, put out fires and candles when you leave the house or go to bed.
- Keep alcohol, including vanilla and almond extract, out of reach of children.
- Keep the tree away from heat sources, such as fireplaces, heating vents or radiators.
- When decorating a tree, keep small ornaments, tinsel, and other decorations on high branches out of reach of children.
- Keep harmful plants, such as holly berries, mistletoe, poinsettias, and Christmas cactus out of reach of children.
- Keep round, hard food and candy out of reach of children.