Video: North End / Waterfront Residents’ Association (NEWRA) Meeting on June 13, 2013. A brief review and video timeline is shown below.
- (00:00) President’s Report by Jim Salini
- (03:00) Membership Committee Report by Mary McGee
- (03:40) Parks and Open Space Committee Report by Anne Pistorio
- (04:00) Zoning, Licensing and Construction Committee Report by David Kubiak
Zoning and Licensing Applications
(05:30) 266 Commercial Street, Four Winds Restaurant, Thomas Gioia has applied to the Mayor’s Office of Consumer Affairs and Licensing to amend its existing Live Entertainment License to include Karaoke and Disc Jockey. The owner seeks to add Karaoke entertainment one day per week. Disc Jockey is associated with Karaoke and will also be used in the second floor function room. The establishment’s current Live Entertainment License allows a vocalist and up to 5 instruments, dancing by patrons and games, until 2:00 am.
The applicant did not appear at the meeting. It was explained by ZLC Committee co-chair, David Kubiak, that community process is not required for entertainment licenses. NEWRA still had a discussion and took a vote. An abutter and other meeting participants voiced a desire to prevent the license additions from encouraging a nightclub should the bar be sold to a new owner. A City Hall hearing is scheduled for Monday, June 17, 2013 at 10:30 am.
- NEWRA voted 17-13 to support the addition of Karaoke and Disc Jockey to the Live Entertainment License with the conditions, Karaoke will be only one night a week and the DJ use on the second floor will be limited to support of the functions that the owner has stated will occur a couple of times a month on Saturdays only.
(24:20) Kathy Carangelo from Councilor Sal LaMattina’s Office announced the schedule for lighting and street paving on Salem Street. The paving is expected to be completed by July 1st. Acorn lights will begin to be installed next week, weather permitting.
(25:30) Strega Pizzeria and Cafe, 371-373 Hanover Street, Nicola Varano (represented by William Ferrullo at the meeting) has filed an application with the Licensing Board for transfer of the Malt and Wine with Cordials License at the now-closed Nick’s Famous Deli, 66 Cross Street, to 371-373 Hanover Street, related to the operation of a proposed pizzeria and café adjacent to Strega Restaurant, in the currently empty first floor space formerly “Casa di Stile.”
- NEWRA voted 18-12 to support the application as presented.
(30:50) St. Joseph Society of Boston has approached City Hall and the Boston Parks and Recreation Department with a proposal to move its annual Feast of St. Joseph from Hanover Street into the Paul Revere Mall (“The Prado”). This year, the feast is scheduled to be held during the weekend of July 26-28.
- Officers of the St. Joseph Society announced at the meeting that they have withdrawn this request based on neighborhood feedback including that from last Monday at the Neighborhood Council meeting. No vote or further action was taken by NEWRA.
All votes by NEWRA are advisory to city officials. For more information on NEWRA, see www.NEWRA.org.
A historical presentation at the meeting about the North End’s Dr. Joseph Warren will be posted separately.