North End Against Drugs presented its annual Michelina and Raymond Costa Scholarship Program on Monday May 20th at the Nazarro Center as part of the final family dinner series to close the 2013 school year.
The evening began with an informative presentation by NEAD board member and Health Educator of North End Waterfront Health, Mary Wright. The topic was on the perils of teenage drinking and the risks associated with it as well as statistics and the results of an anonymous survey given to teenagers asking questions about their own experiences with alcohol.
The Nazzaro Center’s Youth Program Band presented “An Evening of Music” which included 11 musical pieces including favorites like ” The Nazzaro Theme,” “Wild Thing,” and “Dirty Water.” Jeremy Sarzana is the Band Instructor with Chris Romano as Assistant Junior Instructor.
Eleven scholarships were presented to North End children for grammar school, high school and college, and 2 Staples gift cards for public school. A total of $6500 was awarded.
- 1 College Scholarship for $1000 in Memory of Annmarie Sava-Duncan donated by Steven Virgilio and Roc Teen Saturday awarded to Michele DiPrizio.
- After the winner was selected, Steven Virgilio donated an additional $500 to the remaining two college applicants to be used for books. Awards of $250 each to Tia Bevilaqua and Justin Amoroso.
- 2 High School Scholarships for $750 each in Loving Memory of Bobby ‘D’ DeCristoforo donated by
- NEAD and the Nazzaro Center awarded to Coleman Shea and Jordyn Amoroso.
- 6 Grammar School Scholarships for $500 each.
- In Memory of Ralph (Taffy) Ventola donated by his son Ralph awarded to Amanda Forziati.
- Donated by Bill and Jennifer Lane awarded to Francis Shea.
- Donated by Boston Police Athletic League awarded to Nolan Ward.
- Donated by Matt Conti awarded to Ashley DiForti.
- Donated by a Friend of NEAD awarded to Adrien Patel
- Donated by a Friend of NEAD awarded to Mariele DiPrizio.
- 2 $250 Staples Gift Cards for Public School donated by Barbara Maldero in Loving Memory of her husband Louis and her grandson Louis awarded to Maria Fountas and Timothy Shea.
(Award recipients were selected by random drawing)
The evening concluded with a pizza party in the Nazzaro Center with pizza generously donated by Regina Pizza on Thatcher St. Thanks Regina’s!!
NEAD would like to thank everyone who donated to our Scholarship Program and making this night so successful.
Photos by Matt Conti