Video: Music and dance from Chinese groups that performed on the Paul Revere Mall, Prado, on July 27, 2011. (Ed: My favorite is the version of “Edelweiss” toward the end of the video.)
Chinese performers came to the North End as part of the Historic Unity Celebration, sponsored by the Saint Joseph Society. The event was held to honor other ethnic groups that immigrated through the North End. Many Chinese first arrived in the North End before heading later to Chinatown in Boston.
Of course, later in the week it was “all things Italian” as the 86th Annual Saint Joseph Feast spread out over Hanover St. and Battery St. In addition to a stage on Hanover St., there was a large covered performance area on the Paul Revere Mall (Prado) where several music and dance performances where held during the feast.
Check out the links below for video highlights from the performances, including the first Historic Unity Celebration. Find out more about the society at StJosephsBoston.org.
- Procession of the Statue of Saint Joseph through the North End – July 31, 2011
- Irish Invasion in the North End – Honoring Ray Flynn & John J. Somers
- Typical North End Summer Night with Jewish & Chinese Music (and Santa)
- Chinese Performances in the Prado as part of Historic Unity Celebration
- Jewish Music in the North End from the Saint Joseph Society