The results are in for the North End/Waterfront Neighborhood Council (NEWNC) election that was held on Saturday, May 15, 2010 at the Nazzaro Community Center. There were 8 candidates running for 6 seats. A total of 288 North End/Waterfront residents voted in the election, 68 more than the 220 last year.
Vote Tally – 288 Total Ballots
1. 162 votes – Marie Simboli, 61 Prince St.
2. 142 votes – Anne Devlin Tagliaferro, 63 Atlantic Ave.
3. 107 votes – Giancarlo Tiberi, 357 Commercial St.
4. 98 votes – Ryan Kenny, 10 Thacher St.
5. 94 votes – Mario Alfano, 63 Atlantic Ave.
6. 88 votes – Donna Freni, 85 E. India Row
7. 85 votes – Philip Frattaroli, 8 Harris St.
8. 73 votes – Bill Lane, 10 Thacher St.
The top six candidates will each receive 2 year terms on the neighborhood council. Because of the close results between #6 and #7, a recount was conducted which confirmed the order of results.
The other members of the council that were not up for re-election and will serve the second year of their term include: Luciana Burdi, David Marx, Jon Sproul, Jorge Mendoza and Stephen Passacantilli.
According to NEWNC by-laws, the 12th seat, formerly held by the late Bobby DeCristoforo, may be filled from the other candidates for a 1-year term or it may be left vacant. Such an appointment is at the discretion of the council and requires a 2/3rd vote of council members. This decision and officer selections will likely be made at the June meeting.
The next NEWNC meeting is Monday, June 14, 7:00 pm at the Nazzaro Center. More information at www.NEWNCBoston.org.