The North End / Waterfront Residents’ Association (NEWRA) held its June 2018 meeting on June 14, starting with a series of committee reports. Watch the video above and follow along with this timeline.
Vice President, Dave Goggins opened with a reminder that NEWRA will be convening its nominating committee soon (0:50). Current President Mary McGee’s term will end this fall and there will be an election to find her successor. If you would like to be on the committee or nominate someone from the community, please contact NEWRA.
Parks and Open Spaces Chair Robyn Reed spoke about the numerous activities happening in the city parks this summer (3:20). Events include:
- The Friends of Christopher Columbus Park Independence Day Celebration will be June 30.
- The swings are back at the North End parks on the Greenway.
- The neon art installations are up on the Greenway in the Wharf District.
- The Mayors’ Coffee will be June 28 at 9:30 a.m. in Christopher Columbus Park.
- Dog-themed sculptural exhibition in the Navy Shipyard will be up until September 10. The opening party is Thursday June 21 from 7 p.m. to sunset (4:40).
- A city muralist is interested in refreshing the murals in Cutillo Park. Robyn is forming an adhoc committee around this. If you’re interested in participating, email Robyn at email@example.com.
- The parks department hosted their final meeting to discuss the design phase of the Langone & Puopolo Parks improvement project (5:55).
- Boston set a goal to plant 100,000 new trees last year but fell short by about 96,000 trees. There will be a public city council hearing about the tree canopy on Monday, June 18 at 10 a.m. (7:00).
Chair of the Zoning, Licensing & Construction Committee Victor Brogna presented ZLC updates (9:18).
- 15 Snow Hill Street – NEWRA will send a no objection letter to the Board of Appeals. This petition is to legalize the current occupancy that’s already been going on for a number of years (10:20).
- Coming up at the ZLC meeting on June 26 is the 198 Hanover Street proposal for a Starbucks where the Citizens Bank is on the corner of Hanover and Cross Street (11:24).
- Also coming up is a proposed tobacco shop at 87 Salem Street (12:49).
If you’re interested in co-chairing the ZLC committee, let Victor know (firstname.lastname@example.org).