On Saturday, May 26, Boston Harbor Islands National and State Park opens with a day of free ferry service to Georges and Spectacle Islands, and a morning filled with family-friendly activities on Long Wharf North – Boston’s gateway to the Harbor Islands.
Activities on Long Wharf North begin at 8:30 a.m. with free ferry ticket pick-up at the Boston Harbor Cruises Ferry Center. At 9:30 a.m., the 2018 island season officially opens with a ribbon-cutting ceremony and festive send-off of the first ferry of the season. Following the ribbon-cutting, the celebration continues with family-friendly activities throughout the morning, including live music from Cocek! Brass Band and stations for face painting and temporary tattoos.
Visitors to the islands can explore Fort Warren on Georges Island, hike drumlin trails and stroll beaches on Spectacle Island or simply enjoy a refreshing ferry ride through scenic Boston harbor. Bring a picnic, grab a Junior Ranger book or island map, and spend the day taking in panoramic views of Boston and the harbor!
Free ferry tickets will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis and are limited to groups of four. Ferries will depart Long Wharf at 10:00 a.m., 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. Ferries return to Long Wharf between 1:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. This Free Ferry Day is hosted by the National Park Service, Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation and Boston Harbor Now.
Following Free Ferry Day, an entire season of events are planned to connect people of all ages to Boston’s waterfront, harbor, islands and each other. Highlights include:
- Activities for Kids – from sea kayaking to fishing to island detectives, activities for children of all ages are happening throughout the season
- Island Yoga – a free all-levels class every Saturday on Spectacle Island
- L.L. Bean Events – clinics hosted by L.L. Bean focusing on various outdoor skills
- Night Sky – three opportunities to camp and explore the splendor of the night sky with park staff on Peddocks Island
- Rock the Fort – three free live concerts featuring bands from Berklee College of Music
- Family Fun Day (August 19) – a fun-filled day on Georges Island featuring games, music, puppet shows, fairy houses and story-telling pirates
For more information about Free Ferry Day and a complete schedule of summer activities happening on the Boston Harbor Islands, visit www.bostonharborislands.org.
For a complete schedule of summer activities happening on the waterfront and harbor, visit www.bostonharbornow.org.