The North End / Waterfront Residents’ Association (NEWRA) held its April 2015 monthly meeting on Thursday night. As is typical, NEWRA executives and committee chairs provided a rundown of recent news and announcements on a myriad of neighborhood subjects.
(00:00 time in video) President’s report – Ford Cavallari
- Boston Shines is on Saturday, May 9th, 9am at the Prado, Register at this link.
- NEWRA.org now includes petitioner documents and a liquor license map on the ZLC webpage.
(03:50) Membership Committee report, Mary McGee, welcomed new members to the meeting.
(04:20) NEWRA’s Non-profit Status – NEWRA has officially obtained non-profit, charity status as a 501(c)3 allowing supporters to receive a tax deduction for contributions. The group is planning on using this status to boost its fundraising efforts.
(06:50) Introductions from representatives of public officials.
(07:30) Parks and Open Spaces Committee report by Robyn Reed
- Construction has begun toward the renovation of the North End Parks on the Greenway.
- FOCCP is sponsoring a lecture on rose gardens at the North End Library, April 25th, 12pm (More information).
- The next Parks & Open Spaces Committee meeting will be on Tuesday, May 7th, 7:00 p.m. at the Mariner’s House, 11 North Square, all welcome.
(10:05) RUFF announcements from the neighborhood dog owners group
- Spring clean-up on Saturday, April 11th, 10:30 am at the Prado.
- RUFF Monthly Meeting on Tuesday, April 14th, 7pm at the Nazzaro Center.
- Dog Park Pilot Opening on May 1st at the Gassy, Flights – Food & Refreshments, All welcome.
(12:50) Zoning, Licensing & Construction Committee report by Victor Brogna
- Reviewed at the last meeting: 20 Unity Court, 47 Charter Street, 3-5 Quincy Court
- Coming up: 240 North Street (La Cappella, residential conversion), 418 Commercial Street
- In the last 12 months, the ZLC committee has written 20 letters: 7 in support, 6 of no objection, 3 in opposition, 2 split votes, 3 on non-voting matters.
- 16-18 Battery Street zoning request goes before the Boston Zoning Board of Appeals on May 5th, 11:30am, 8th floor of City Hall. This application raised the issue of AirBnb, short-term rentals in the neighborhood. NEWRA has gathered abutter documents on this issue at this link. NEWRA has opposed the request while the Mayors Office of Neighborhood Services is supporting it.
- 319 Hanover Street, former Pomodoro, now to be Scopa — pending application filing.
- Next ZLC Committee meeting is April 28th, 7:00 pm, Mariner’s House, 11 North Square, All welcome.