WINDMILL HILL (the predecessor to the site of Boston’s second largest burying ground, otherwise known as Copp’s Hill)– was the site of the first working windmill erected in Boston.
‘Puritan Picnics’ occupied the vicinity around the Windmill– a place of promenade and recreation for the early settlers, similar to the leisurely style of Roman imperial baths. At the turn of the century, the windmill was destructed and a mansion was built. Windmill Hill became Snow Hill- a transformation recorded by old city archives account as-
“This was the first windmill erected in the colony. These old windmills, in the days, in the days when corn was legal tender, were useful servants to the community, and were a feature of the landscape. Winthrop records a mill built on Windmill Point in 1636, and three others were put up by 1650. After Boston had become a city, the two last surviving windmills still stood on Windmill Point. The “south” and “north” mills were accordingly constructed on the shore of the Mill Pond; and others gradually followed, including later a saw mill and a chocolate mill.” (Topographical Description of Boston, Shurtleff)