New plans have been filed by Thomas O’Brien’s HYM Investment Group LLC to redevelop the Government Center Garage with a mixed use project featuring several commercial, residential and hotel towers, up to 600 feet. HYM and the Boston Redevelopment Authority released the Project Notification Form (PNF) on Wednesday, June 5, 2013.
- Project Details, as filed:
- Construction of 6 new buildings & reuse of a portion of the existing parking garage as parking
- 771 units of housing (apts and condos)
- 204 hotel rooms
- 1.3M SF of office space
- 82,500 SF of retail
- New public plaza and pedestrian promenade
- LEED Gold target
- 850 bicycle parking spots
- Project will create 2,600 construction jobs and 6,000 permanent jobs
The largest towers (600 and 470 feet) would be on the Government Center side near the JFK Building. The project height would step down to 275 feet toward Congress Street and to 150 feet on the Greenway.
The design by CBT Architects features the removal of the tunnel overhang over Congress Street. With an estimated phased project timeframe of approximately 10 years, about 1,000 of the existing garage spaces would remain versus the 2,300 that currently exist.
Project meetings are expected to be scheduled in the near future as part of the Large Project Review by the Boston Redevelopment Authority. See the last meeting with HYM at City Hall on this project.