Real Estate

Ask Toni & Maria – Real Estate Column #13

“Ask Toni & Maria” is a real estate column written by Toni Gilardi and Maria DiTullio from Elite Boston Landmark Realty. Have them answer your questions in an upcoming column by emailing

1. Hi Toni and Maria,
I just moved into one of the larger buildings on the Waterfront. I was surprised to hear that I had to pay a move-in/move out fee. Is this common in the larger Waterfront buildings?
Thank you. Brenda

Hello Brenda,
Yes, it is common. Most of the larger buildings throughout the City have move-in/move-out fees. Every building is different. Your agent should have informed you up front.

2. Hi Toni and Maria,

I just put my condominium under agreement. I have a dining room chandelier that I did not exclude from the sale. My real estate broker is telling me I have to leave it. The chandelier has sentimental value to me. What can I do?
Thank you…Michael

Hello Michael,
It is true that a fixture is an article that was once personal property but is now part of the real estate when permanently attached. That said, it would be reasonable to approach the buyer with this dilemma and ask his permission to replace it.

3. Hi Toni and Maria,

My sister and I are long time residents of the North End. We inherited a building from our parents. We own the property as tenants in common. My sister wants to sell the property but I do not since I live there. We cannot come to an agreement…What can we do?
Thank you..Maria

Hi Maria,
You have a few of choices.
*You can agree to buy your sister out of the property by having an appraisal done and paying her market value.
* You can condo the building selling the other 3 units and keeping yours to owner occupy.
* You can attempt to sell the property with a life estate.
We would suggest you consult with an attorney.

We would love to hear from you! Send in your real estate questions to: Also, check out our website at or call 617-227-1000 or 617 523-5400.