Real Estate

Ask Toni & Maria – Real Estate Column #6

“Ask Toni & Maria” is a real estate column written by Toni Gilardi and Maria DiTullio from Elite Boston Landmark Realty. Have them answer your questions in an upcoming column by emailing


1. Toni and Maria, my question:  In a condominium building if a owner decides to rent and she rents to young adults that all they do is party at any hour and slam their apartment door at any hour and have been fined more than once. What is the responsibility of the owner that holds the lease?  How can we get her or him to break the lease and remove these renters that been nothing but a problem from day one?

My second question: Can the Condominium Association ask the Management Company to contact the realtor that is trying to rent an unit owners Condo and have provisions put into the lease?

 I would appreciate your response to both these questions that being on the Board of Trustees these are my concerns.

Thank you,  Marie

Hi Marie,
Unfortunately not all condominium rules and regulations read the same. As a Trustee, you should review the rules and regulations and proposed steeper restrictions on tenant occupied units.  This proposal will have to be accepted by the association and the condominium documents amended. You can mandate an attachment and incorporate these rules and regulations to all leases. In the future, if the specific rules and regulations are broken the tenant will be in breach of contract.

2. Hi Maria and Toni,
I am purchasing a building in the South End. All of the current tenants have leases until August 31st 2012. They are all paying below market rate. Can I renegotiate the leases now?
Charlie, South End

Sorry Charlie, the leases run with the land. You have to live with the current leases until they expire.

3. Hi Maria and Toni,
My apartment was broken into just before the holiday. They took some of my valuables. Is it the landlord’s responsibility to replace them?
Rosie,  Allston

Hey Rose,
Sorry to hear about your break in. It is always upsetting. It is only the landlord’s responsibility to make sure the building and apartment are secured. We recommend you get apartment insurance.

Don’t be shy…We would love to hear from you! Send in your real estate questions to: And don’t forget to check out our website at or call 617-227-1000 or 617 523-5400.