Boston Fire Department tweeted an electrical fire forced a power shutdown at the Intercontinental Hotel & Residences on Atlantic Avenue. Guests and residents were evacuated to the Boston Harbor Hotel at Rowes Wharf. Below are the BFD’s tweets:
- Response to the Intercontinental Hotel at 500 Atlantic Ave at 2:00 am for a reported fire in the garage
- Firefighters found an electrical fire in some conduits in the basement of the garage. Facilities staff unable to isolate and shut power off.
- Hotel is 12 floors with 424 rooms. There are 130 residences above the hotel. Chief ordered a 2nd alarm to assist with total evacuation.
- Hotels guests and residents relocated to a ballroom at the Boston Harbor Hotel, one block away. No reported injuries.
- Determined the only way to shut off power to get the fire out was to shut power off for the entire complex, both the hotel and residences.
- Fire companies that responded on the 2nd alarm are returned to quarters. First alarm response still on scene. Facilities shutting power off.