Your comments are highly encouraged on NorthEndWaterfront.com! The main posts are simply the beginning of the story. Reader comments take the story to the next level and make up an important part of blogs and online journalism. So, mosey up to the online neighborhood water cooler and make a comment!
Comments are moderated. Please be patient as it can take up to 24 hours for comments to appear on the site.
These are the rules of the road that we use in moderating comments:
- The use of real names, first and last, is encouraged and those comments receive priority in getting posted on the site. Anonymous comments such as those under first names or pseudonyms are allowed if we feel they add value to the discussion.
- The community will take you more seriously if you use your real name.
- We ask you to include both your first and last name to avoid confusion. Using only your first name is still anonymous. Just ask the person down the street with the same first name.
- For the sake of an active dialogue, we allow respectful anonymous comments under pseudonyms (i.e., “Baby Cakes”).
- Real name commenters receive much more leeway in having their comments approved.
- We have very little patience for anonymous attacks on just about anything or anyone. In the case of a disagreement between a real name commenter and an anonymous commenter, we will generally always favor the person using their real name.
- Bottom Line: If you post a negative comment anonymously, it probably won’t be posted.
- No personal attacks! Civility is required. Attack the issue, not the person! We encourage a free-flowing, robust discussion but not harsh attacks. Focus on the substance of the issue, not the person who presented it. Please remember this is a community and in many cases, your neighbor.
- Make your case, but don’t be rude! Keep within the bounds of decency and of the law. Disagreements are fine, even if they are passionate or raucous. Just don’t cross the line.
- Definite no-no’s: Don’t swear. No hate speech, harassment, racism or bigotry. Don’t threaten or accuse others of unsubstantiated wrongdoing. Don’t make fun of how people look or talk. No religious or ethnic attacks.
- Bring your viewpoints but recognize there is often another side that may respond.
- We will allow opinions that some people will find offensive. This includes conversation that is simply strident in tone.
- Don’t pretend to be someone else. (We eventually figure this out.)
- Stay on topic.
- If you are quoting a source or article, please remember “fair use doctrine.” This means all direct quotes must be linked or otherwise identified and that copyrighted works should not be reproduced in their entirety if an excerpt will suffice.
- Do not post ads in the comment section.
- Comments submitted without valid email addresses will not be posted. Email addresses are required when submitting a comment, but are not published. Occasionally, we we may contact you for clarification on a comment but your email is never sold or added to any type of distribution list.
- Readers can report a comment for review they think is inappropriate to firstname.lastname@example.org. But, please do not ask us to mediate your disputes with other parties.
- We post the vast majority of comments that make it through our spam filters and are under no obligation to enforce these guidelines on your behalf. Moderating comments is often a judgement call and there are no guarantees that we will be consistent.
- Comments may be edited or deleted at any time without notice.
- If you are a repeat offender of our policy, you will be banned.
Disclaimer: NorthEndWaterfront.com takes no responsibility if you are harmed by the comments or posts of others. The Telecommunications Act of 1996 protects Internet-based services, such as this website, from being held liable for postings by third-party contributors.
These guidelines may change at any time. Contact us with questions or comments.
Last updated: August 13, 2013