Your comments are highly encouraged on NorthEndWaterfront.com! The main posts are simply the beginning of the story. Reader comments take the story to the next level and make up an important part of blogs and online journalism. So, mosey up to the online neighborhood water cooler and make a comment!
Rules of the road for comments:
- Real names are encouraged, but not required. The community will take you more seriously if you use your real name. If you don’t want a future employer to find you on Google in 20 years, use initials such as “Matt C” so we know who is talking.
- We allow anonymous comments under a pseudonym (i.e., “Baby Cakes”). Just follow the rules of decency. Please use the same screen name every time, especially within each post. Over time, the community will come to know “Baby Cakes.”
- Civility is required. Please remember this is a community. Attack the issue, not the person! We encourage a free-flowing, robust discussion but not harsh, personal attacks. Focus on the substance of the issue, not the person who presented it.
- Make your case, but don’t be rude! Keep within the bounds of decency and of the law. Disagreements are fine, even if they are passionate or raucous. Just don’t cross the line.
- Real name commenters receive more leeway in having their comments approved. If you post under a pseudonym and your comment is an attack on someone, we will probably not post it.
- Definite no-no’s: Don’t swear. No hate speech, harassment, racism or bigotry. Don’t threaten or accuse others of unsubstantiated wrongdoing. Don’t make fun of how people look or talk. No religious or ethnic attacks.
- Bring your viewpoints. Recognize there is often another side that may respond.
- We will allow opinions that some people will find offensive, conversation that is simply strident in tone, criticism of public officials and people who are the subjects of articles.
- Don’t pretend to be someone else. (We eventually figure this out.)
- Stay on topic.
- If you are quoting a source or article, please remember “fair use doctrine.” This means all direct quotes must be linked or otherwise identified and that copyrighted works should not be reproduced in their entirety if an excerpt will suffice.
Comments may be moderated, edited or deleted without notice at our sole discretion.
This means an editor may review your comment before it will appear on the website. Comments may be edited or deleted before or after posting. If you are a repeat offender of our policy, you will be banned.
Readers can report a comment for review they think is inappropriate to email@example.com.
We post the vast majority of comments that make it through our spam filters and are under no obligation to enforce these guidelines on your behalf. Moderating comments is often a judgement call and there are no guarantees that we will be consistent. Please don’t ask us to mediate your disputes with other parties.
Please do not post ads in the comment section.
NorthEndWaterfront.com takes no responsibility if you are harmed by the comments or posts of others. The Telecommunications Act of 1996 protects Internet-based services, such as this website, from being held liable for postings by third-party contributors.
These guidelines may change at any time. Contact us with questions or comments.
Last updated: January 25, 2013