Salem Street Improvements
Boston Public Works Construction
The Boston Public Works Department (PWD) is undertaking substantial improvements to Salem Street, from Cross Street to Charter Street.
Salem Street is a vibrant and busy part of the North End which includes residential, commercial, restaurants, and tourist components. This makes Salem Street a difficult construction location at any time during the week. However, these improvements have been strongly advocated for by the neighborhood and PWD is proceeding with the completion of the project. PWD, in concert with Councilor Sal LaMattina and the Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services, will work to complete the project as quickly as possible and reduce the inconvenience to the people of Salem Street. The full scope of work includes:
- New pedestrian ramps
- Sidewalk repair at various locations
- Removal of current street lights
- Repair and alterations to street light bases
- Installation and addition of new LED acorn-style street lights. There are currently 35 street lights on Salem Street. There will be a new total of 70 lights on the street when completed.
- Existing roadway grinding and full roadway resurfacing
Please observe the temporary parking restrictions.
Commercial deliveries will be accommodated but merchants are requested to schedule them prior to 8:00AM during construction.
The projected work schedule includes:
- The corner pedestrian ramps on Salem Street will be completed by June 28.
- This phase will be completed on a block-by-block basis to reduce the parking restrictions along Salem Street.
- There will be some sidewalk work conducted for new street light bases and this construction will occur between the hours of 7:00AM-4:00PM. This work is expected to take 3 weeks starting the week of June 24.
- Street light-related work on Salem Street, from Cross to Prince Streets will take place on Monday-Thursdays between the hours of 4:00PM-11:00PM starting the week of June 24. Salem Street, from Prince to Charter Streets will also include Saturday work between 8:00AM-3:00PM. This involves the removal of old lights and installing the new poles/fixtures.
- This phase is anticipated to take until September.
Please note that weather and neighborhood events may alter the proposed schedule.
- The existing roadway will be grinded down, the manholes/castings reset, and resurfaced.
- This is scheduled during the month of October and will take 2 weeks for completion.
- Work will be conducted during the weekdays.
Again, there is no easy alternative to the inconvenience of this construction project. Your patience and consideration is appreciated during this important neighborhood improvement project. Please contact Frank O’Brien of the PWD at Frank.O’Brien@cityofboston.gov or at 617- 635-3485 with any questions.