Boston Community Collaborative coordinated an amazing on court opportunity for kids at Wednesday night’s Celtics playoff game 1 vs the Cleveland Cavaliers. 30 lucky kids got to experience the Celtic’s “HIGH FIVE TUNNEL” during half time. The “HIGH FIVE TUNNEL” is when the kids form 2 lines and high five many of the players from both teams as they return to the court after half time.
Some of the notable highlights of the evening: While waiting to go on court, the kids got to see the substantial and fancy set up behind the scenes for the unusually extensive media personnel – including a huge, stunning ice sculpture of the Celtics logo. They got to watch lots of behind the scenes activity including Lucky’s warm up and practice with the flip-dunking/break-dancing/incredibly-athletic gymnasts – and hear their discussion as they coached each other: “Dude – if you straddle rather than pike, you move your center of gravity, so it’s easier” (to pull into an upright handstand from a nearly horizontal handstand). They got to watch cheerleaders and gymnasts practice lifts and stunts. While on court, they got to be right up close to the flipping dunkers. They got to walk right out onto the floor and see the garden – and watch thousands of led light up synchronized wrist bands from the perspective of the court. They got to high five Lebron James. They got to high five Isaiah Thomas. They got to see the players up close and personal and be very impressed by the size of the massive NBA players. They got to watch the half time warm ups from courtside.
BCC is thrilled to be able to facilitate such a cool opportunity for these kids.
BCC was incorporated in 2013 and strives to create community by connecting people and resources.
BCC offers courses in Drama, Dance, Fitness and Engineering for Kids during the St John School afterschool program, courses in Drama in the North End, and at the Josiah Quincy afterschool program. BCC holds a Movers and Shakers class for babies and toddlers at the West End Community Center. BCC hosts a number of community events: Movie Nights in the Gassy during the summer, an annual Halloween Party for adults, and an annual Springtime Egg Hunt in Christopher Columbus Park. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upcoming Events:
June 2 and 3, 7 pm, – location TBA – “Alice’s Wonderland”. Our Youth Main stage Production, co-produced by Boston Community Collaborative and The Nazzaro Center features a cast of young people as well as professional actors.
• June 4, 12 pm (NOTE DATE AND TIME CHANGE) – “Twisted Tales; A Play on Perspectives” – Our next end of session presentation featuring collaborations between all of our students.
• June 13, 5:30, Josiah Quincy School – “Campfire Tales”. Our presentation for the end of our next session at the Josiah Quincy School.
• July 5-9, Dover NH at the Seacoast Fringe Festival. “Woman Writer’s Suicide Club”. Our adult main stage production from this year has been accepted into this regional theater festival. Ages 18 and up.
• Wednesday nights all summer long. North End Movie Nights in the Gassy
• August, 2017, Our week long summer intensive theatre offering. “Hairspray”. A musical theatre intensive based on the music and book of the Broadway hit “Hairspray”.