The March 2017 meeting of the North End / Waterfront Residents’ Association (NEWRA) included several community reports. A summary is shown below. Use the timeline to jump through the video to areas of interest.
(00:00) Welcome by NEWRA President Mary McGee
(01:00) Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services – Maria Lanza
- 3/14 – North Station Mobility Action Plan Charettes in West End, 12-2pm & 6pm-8pm
- 3/28 – Paul Revere Mall Improvements Meeting at Old North Church, 6:30pm, all welcome
- 4/28-4/29 – Love Your Block (formerly Boston Shines)
See the Community Calendar for more information on these events.
(02:30) President’s Report – Mary McGee
- N. Washington Street Bridge Construction delayed until 2018
- Treasurer’s Report – coming soon
- Good Neighbor Recognition Award – Nominees welcome
(04:40) Parks and Open Space Committee – Robyn Reed
- Tree inventory, call 311 for problem trees
- Community meeting on Prado improvements, Tues. 3/28, 6:30pm at Old North Church – public welcome
- Gardening in Christopher Columbus Park – volunteers welcome
- Next Parks meeting on April 4th, 7pm, at the Mariner’s House, 11 N. Square
(06:30) Sergeant at Arms – Cheryl Delgreco
- The group is seeking help in updating the NEWRA logo.
(07:00) Zoning, Licensing & Construction Committee – Victor Brogna
- 3-5 Quincy Court – Proponent and abutter worked out a compromise that included removing the proposed top floor.
- 266 Commercial Street – Verizon wireless antennas were denied by the Zoning Board of Appeal.
- Next ZLC meeting on March 28 will include 57 Snowhill St. zoning variance request.
(11:20) Bylaws Committee – Jason Aluia
- The committee is working on an update to modernize the bylaws, including references that would include website and email communications.
- Officer responsibilities are being considered, such as including
- Term Limits – Committee is currently not considering changing the 2-year term for President, but perhaps extending that for other officers.
- Nomination process is under review.
- Membership dues have been $10 per year for the last 20 years. The committee will analyze dues at other Boston neighborhood associations.
(17:00) Public Safety Committee – David Marx
- See David’s full report posted here.
(18:20) Friends of the North End Library
- All are invited to the annual fundraiser “Spring Soiree” on March 23rd, 6:30 p.m. at Lucia Ristorante, 414 Hanover Street. Purchase $45 tickets at www.FriendsNELibrary.org.