For the first time in over 200 years, an eighteenth century style copper plate rolling press is in operation at the Printing Office of Edes and Gill. Print master and his assistants are printing copies of Paul Revere’s famous engraving of the Boston Massacre.
The new copper plate rolling press is a replica of an original French 18th century press, similar to the press used by Paul Revere. Both the replica and the original French press are on display at the Printing Office of Edes and Gill. The original press and the replica are the only 18th century copper rolling presses in North America.
The replica was recently constructed by Steve Manning of Acton, Massachusetts, funded by a grant from the Society of the Cincinnati. The copper plate engraving of the Paul Revere’s Boston Massacre is a replica of the original copper plate, located at the Massachusetts Historical Society.
The Printing Office of Edes and Gill is named in honor of Benjamin Edes and John Gill, publishers of the Boston Gazette and Country Journal, the most influential patriot newspaper in colonial Boston. The Printing Office of Edes and Gill also displays a colonial letter-press which prints copies of the Boston version of the Declaration of Independence. The Printing Office is located in the 1715 Clough House on Unity Street behind the Old North Church. The Printing Office of Edes and Gill and the adjacent Captain Jackson’s Historic Chocolate Shop are two living history exhibits sponsored by the Old North Foundation. Both are open from 11:00 until 5:30 daily.
For more information contact: The Old North Foundation Visitor Services Manager 617-523-6676 x 109 email@example.com or Pam Bennett, Old North Foundation Business Manager at 617-523-4848 firstname.lastname@example.org.