Students from Wentworth Institute of Technology, Department of Architecture, presented the results of a competition to redesign the Flights area at DeFilippo Playground (The Gassy). Specifically, the assigned project was titled, “Urban Path: Activating the North End Flights.” Within the Flights area, students were encouraged to incorporate a performance space and public restrooms. Each design team produced two 30″ x 40″ boards over approximately 2 weeks including site visits. Submissions were judged and critiqued by professional and student juries. Five finalist projects were presented at a NEWRA meeting on May 8, 2014 shown in the video above.
- (00:00 in video) Introduction by WIT instructor, Elizabeth Ghiseline, who is also Secretary of the North End / Waterfront Residents’ Association (NEWRA).
- (05:30) Holly Hersey + Rima Aboulseiman (Professor’s Choice Award) title: The Green In Between
- (13:50) Panharith Ean + Greg Jimmie (Second Place Overall: Invited jury) title: Recording Ephemera
- (20:15) Kylie Trainor + Hailey Cyr (First Place: People’s Choice Award) title: Falling Skies
- (25:30) Sarah St. Onge + Emily Lampert (Third Place Overall: Invited Jury) title: Defilippo Park: Dynamic Terraces
- (30:35) Matt Arsenault + Neal DosSantos (First Place Overall: Invited Jury + Third Place: People’ Choice Award) title: UN.HINGED
- Additional team (images posted but not presented) titled Place Inhabiting Edge Conditions by Kevin Fletcher + Phil Seclen (Professor’s Choice Award)
Below are more photos of the boards. (Click the images to enlarge.)