The 93rd Annual Grand Religious Feast in honor of Madonna Della Cava will be held on August 9-11, 2013 on Hanover and Battery Streets in Boston’s North End. The celebration starts on Friday night at 7pm with the exposition of the image of the Madonna and a short procession. Entertainment highlights and the full schedule are shown below.
The image of Maria SS Della Cava, Principal Patron of Pietraperzia, Sicily was rediscovered miraculously in the year 1223 by a mute from Trapani who was directed by Our Lady to proceed to the outskirts of the town where the portrait of Our Lady would be found. In the process, his speech and hearing were restored. The first words emitted by the mute were, “VIVA MARIA SS DELLA CAVA.” Read more at the society’s website: MadonnaDellaCava.com.
2013 Schedule of Events
Friday, August 9, 2013
- 7:00 p.m. Exposition of the image of the Madonna at 3 Battery St. followed by a blessing and short procession.
- 8:00 p.m. – 10:45 p.m. Special entertainment by Double Vision.
- 11:00 p.m. – Grand Raffle
Saturday, August 10, 2013
- 12 Noon – 2:00 p.m. Cigar Authority w/David Garofalo AM 1510
- 8:00 p.m. – 10: 45 p.m. Special entertainment by Stardust
- 11:00 p.m. Grand Raffle
Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. – Live DJ
- 11:00 a.m. Holy Mass at St. Stephen’s Church on Hanover Street
- 1:00 p.m. Procession of the faithful in which the Image of the Madonna will be borne through the streets accompanied by society members. Paesani, devotees and 4 marching bands: St. Alfio’s, Northeast Italian Band, Holy Family Defenders and Sons of Italy.
- 8:00 – 11:00 p.m. Special entertainment by Vinyl Groove
- 10:45 p.m. Grand Raffle
- 11:00 p.m. Feast closes with return of the Madonna to her permanent chapel.
To get you in the mood, here is a short video from Opening Night 2012: