A concerned resident sends in this disturbing account of extensive vandalism on Monday night, Presidents’ Day at the North End’s Puopolo and Langone parks by a large group of young individuals drinking on the Harborwalk. After the photos, the same resident provides an update on the response by City officials.
- All of the broken glass and litter occurred after 8:45 PM last night and approximately 6:45 AM this morning;
- The damage to the public toilet also occurred overnight;
- The benches along the walkway have gone missing over the past weekend. As you can see, they have been thrown into the water immediately adjacent to the seawall. A third bench can be found along the seawall just a few yards beyond the two depicted in the images. Each of these benches easily can be retrieved, pressure washed, and put back into service. My suggestion is that they be installed in cement rather than asphalt;
- Missing items from the tot lot (a SeaHorse on a large spring, and several chairs) also can be found along the seawall and in the water immediately behind the tot lot. Again, these items can be recovered easily, pressure washed and put back into service.
- The broken tree branch is also recent and may be due to a truck backing into it – see long scrape along the branch.