Candidates outside the Nazzaro Center on NEWNC Election Day. Left to right: Jennifer Lyons, Philip Frattaroli, Stephen Passacantilli, Jorge Mendoza, Jon Sproul, David Marx, Bill Lane, Mansfield J. Holmes.
Congratulations to the new elected councilors for the 2011 North End/Waterfront Neighborhood Council! The NEWNC election was held on Saturday, May 14, 2011 from 10am-2pm at the Nazzaro Community Center. There were 9 candidates running for 6 open seats. Here are the final vote counts:
2011 NEWNC Vote Tally – 203 Total Ballots
1. 115 votes – Philip Frattaroli, 8 Harris St.
2. 109 votes – Stephen Passacantilli, 406 Hanover St.*
3. 104 votes – Jorge Mendoza, 4 Stillman Pl.*
4. 74 votes – Jonathan Sproul, 99A Prince St.*
5. 61 votes – Bill Lane, 10 Thacher St.
6. 59 votes – David Marx, 2 Thacher St.*
7. 51 votes – Karen Ventola D’Amico, 274 North St.
8. 39 votes – Jennifer Lyons, 440 Hanover St.
9. 36 votes – Mansfield J. Holmes, 3 Thacher Ct
The top six candidates will each serve a two-year term on the neighborhood council. A total of 203 North End / Waterfront residents voted in the election, down from 288 last year and 220 in 2009. Serving on this year’s election committee were councilors not up for re-election, Donna Freni, Marie Simboli and Anne Devlin Tagliaferro.
The 2011-2012 NEWNC will have up to 12 members including the 6 candidates above that received the most votes and those with one year remaining in their term (Donna Freni, Ryan Kenny, Marie Simboli, Anne Devlin Tagliaferro and Giancarlo Tiberi). The new council has the option to fill the vacant spot held by the late Mario Alfano or to leave it open until next year.
The next NEWNC meeting is Monday, June 13, 2011, 7:00 pm at the Nazzaro Center 30 N. Bennet St. NEWNC meetings are open to the public. More information at www.NEWNCBoston.org.